Sunday, February 1, 2015

Parental Fitness and Autism

I wanted to take the time today to talk to everyone about parental fitness. This is not, on its face, related to Autism, but it does impact the quality of life you experience and your loved one experiences. I know to sometimes the world of exercise seems like a secret society. I want to help you navigate it with this introduction. We all have heard the multiple benefits of exercise, so instead of harping on it I wanted to share how I have been maintaining an exercise routine in my hectic house.

Aiden was born in 2011 and my daughter was born in 2012, after she was born I weighed 180lbs. On my 5'6" frame I was able to hide it, but that didn't mean I was happy. I had been struggling with my routine already, since sustaining a knee injury in a serious car accident in 2009, which required two separate operations in 2010 and 2011. Aiden was diagnosed with Autism in 2013. At that point I had two children 2 and younger and one had a life changing diagnosis. Also in 2013 I was diagnosed with arthritis, which further contributed to my fatigue and stress. My story is not special. My story can be shared by many people throughout the country, maybe even by one of my readers. So why share it? Because I want you to know I understand where you are coming from. Raising children is a struggle on its own, add in health stressors, work, and general family life, its a wonder that anyone can maintain their sanity. So how do I do it?

First thing I'll say is I started buckling down again on my fitness routine in mid-2014. Aiden was a very mature 3 year old and Haley was almost 2, so they could and did entertain themselves for a decent period of time. It is hard to maintain a routine with a baby around or a young toddler. I tell new moms to just go for a walk. put the baby in their stroller or strap them into their baby carrier and take them for a walk. Its a great bonding tool for you and your little one, it helps expand their vocabulary if you talk to them during the walk, and you are beginning to lay the foundation for your future workout regimen. Don't think after having a baby you are just going to jump right back into your workout routine. Don't over exhaust yourself, take the time to just be a new mommy. It is an all consuming adventure. When you have recovered and have regained a "normal" sleep schedule again, then start really hitting the workouts again. If you have a gym membership take the little ones to the kid care area and go work out. It gives you a break,which is fantastic, and you get your workout in.

When you decide it's time to either being a workout routine for the first time in your life or to start back up you have to understand that this is for you and no one else. You cannot make a life changing decision for anyone else but yourself. This is your selfish time, it is your selfish act. You also have to realize the investment. You will be dedicating a portion of your week, probably around an hour in length at least 5-6 days a week. You will be investing money into fitness. You don't have to invest a whole lot, but you will be paying for equipment and items to help you with injury recovery. Injuries can and do happen with exercise.

So lets talk about how to set yourself up for a fitness routine. First and foremost you need a good pair of shoes. Yes, shoes make all the difference in the world in the health of your joints and feet. I am by no means saying you need to go buy $100-$150 or more for a pair of shoes, which you very easily could. If you do, then that's fine, I cannot afford that. I look for a good pair of Nike's, Newbalance, or my personal favorite Asics. I specifically search for running shoes, but you can also select a pair of cross trainers. Yes, there are specific shoes for specific activities. If you are interested in a cardio routine then running shoes will do well for you, but if you want to lift weights, play sports, or engage in a very dynamic routine then go with cross trainers. Cross trainers are designed to offer support to your ankles during side to side movements, or quick turns, but are lighter than regular tennis shoes and offer more cushioning for running. Running shoes are lighter than regular tennis shoes and cross trainers. They are designed for forward motion only. If you have never ritually exercised before I strongly recommend getting a pair of cross trainers. I say that because it will help you prevent more injuries while you are learning how to exercise.

Buy yourself a few different types of workout DVDs, like Pilates, yoga, cardio based videos, etc. You really only need two or three to start off with, that will help you diversify your workouts. Also pick up light hand weights. Start with 2lbs, 5lbs, and 8lbs. Then you can move up as your weight lifting routine gets easier. Also pick up some light ankle weights or ankle weights that allow you to add weight to them as you get stronger. You will also need a yoga mat. A yoga mat is something I always underestimated until I bought one. Now, its almost a requirement. The mats help so much to cushion your back and hands while doing push ups, sit ups, and other floor workouts.

So you got your equipment, you have some athletic attire, what else do you need? You need a well stocked medicine cabinet. Start with ice packs. I love, love my Mueller ice pack. It never fails and it has a velcro strap that helps hold it in place wherever I put it. Get yourself 2 ice packs minimum and just keep them in your freezer. Ice is your first injury treatment. If you turn an ankle or fall and hit your knee wrist, etc, the first thing you put on is ice. Ice for 48 hours then heat for 24. That being said the next thing you need is a heating pad. You only need one. Ibuprofen is probably something you already have, it helps with inflammation and soreness. You also need to make your your first aide kit is up to speed, band-aids, ointment, ace bandage wraps, etc. Some optional items are icy hot and the smart relief TENS machine. These items are inexpensive and you can use them to help your sore muscles and treat injuries.

One of the biggest struggles you will find is with diet. You will be hungry, but that feeling goes away. If you have conditioned your body to eat 3,000 calories a day, when a typical woman only needs 1,500 calories a day, you will experience hunger. Drink water during that hunger. Keep your calories down and try your hardest not to break the threshold. You will do that on occasion, don't be to hard on yourself over it. Wait an hour and do a workout. You will have intense cravings, they will subside. Allow a cheat day one day a week during which you eat whatever you want, then the next day you buckle back down. Over time, cut cheat day down to a cheat meal. You will find that I had to cut almost all carbohydrates from my diet before I saw a dent in my weight. I had to only allow myself to eat wrap sandwiches 2-3 times a week. Everything else was carb free. You may find that will not work for you. Maybe sugar is your nemesis. Chocolate is mine.

I allow myself to buy one bag of snack size chocolates and I started out eating two a day, then cut it to one, now I only eat it when I crave it. Your diet control starts with the grocery store. Shop along the outside perimeter of the store.  That is where the fresh foods are kept. A big part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle is learning to cook with fresh foods. In the frozen foods section try the different health foods Smart Ones, Weight Watchers, and Healthy Choice are some of the options I have tried. The foods are getting better and better in quality and taste, though they should not make up the majority of your diet since they have high sodium content. These meals are fantastic in a pinch or an unexpected late night. The key to diet is variety. Try different fruits and vegetables, you may surprise yourself and expand your tastes. Its easier now more than ever to get healthy recipes online and through social media. The last thing I will recommend in this section is water. I recently picked up a water bottle that holds 2.2 L, which is equal to 8 glasses of water. I drink one of those full water bottle a day, minimum, but usually I drink more. I only allow myself one caffeinated beverage a day, but that is because I cannot drink coffee. I drink energy drinks (bad I know), but I am human and I have my vices.

Now you have your clothes, an up to date medicine cabinet, and a healthy refrigerator, lets start the exercise routine. Find what works for you. For some of you its Zumba, P90X, or good old fashion running and lifting. The point is to do what you can do and everyday you do something, unless you are injured. Find an eclectic mix of things, that way when you start to get lazy or tired, you can switch to a different type of exercise. A good amount of exercise videos can be found online or can be ordered in the mail. You can also sign up for a gym membership. If you have no previous workout experience I do recommend this. This will give you access to trainers, other people at different levels of fitness, fitness classes, and other resources. Don't be afraid to ask these people questions. If you have a pain or ache stop someone who is obviously on a break and ask them about it. Ask the trainers about it, they will tell you their opinion and it will teach you a great deal. If you have a question about the machines or a particular movement ask someone. Hiring a personal trainer is great, if you can afford it. A lot of people who work out understand where you are because they had to start somewhere too and most of them would love to answer a question or two. Try not to get in their way or take up to much of their time, since they are also there for a workout.

When we cut back on our expenses the gym was the first thing to go. Between my workout apps and videos, along with my prior knowledge I work out effectively at home. I simply give my kids their lunch and turn on a movie they love. I then go into our office, leave the door open and begin my routine. I eat after my workout has concluded. If my husband is home then workouts suddenly become so much easier, since I can go on my runs and leave the kids with him. My workouts are usually 45 minutes to an hour long and I have recently started working out twice a day when I am off work. As far as when I workout I prefer mid morning and late afternoon workouts, but that depends on you completely. You have to find a time that works well for you. It could be a 30 minute chunk of your lunch break on work days, maybe you prefer to wake up earlier or you can work out when you get home. Finding a time that works for you is just as important, if not more so than finding a routine that works for you and you have to stick with it.

Something that has recently helped me jump start my workouts again is my fitness tracker. I purchased a Jawbone Up, but there are so many others out there you can have your choice. This little piece of equipment keeps track of my sleep patterns, steps, workouts, my diet, etc. A tool like this has taught me how my calorie intake is directly impacted by my exercise routine. It also has helped me make better food choices. You don't have to have one to start, and if you follow the process you set for yourself you will probably find that the weight falls off at first, which is exactly what you want. This item helps when you hit a plateau or find yourself going backwards.

Plateauing in your workouts is not uncommon at all and it simply means you need to switch up your routine in exercise or diet. If you notice your weight increasing, critique what you have been eating first. If there has been no change in your diet, then you are probably gaining muscle, which is good because muscles eat fat. The more muscle mass you have the more fat you burn.

Over the last few months I have lost 22 lbs and gone down 2 jeans sizes. It's a liberating feeling and if you are considering starting an exercise routine I hope you found this helpful. I think as you stick with your routine you will find working out gets easier and easier and your body actually craves the exercise. You can do it on any budget and with kids at home too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment